Waterproofing Screed - Leveling Mortar - DIY
Making a cement screed has lots of advantages. For instance, you could lay a screed for a floor with heating. By using Cementmix instead of water, you’ll create a screed that’s permanently waterproof, through and through. the floor-heating will be protected without loss of energy and will give wonderful heat on colder days.
In this blog we’ll give you some outlines on how to create a waterproof screed / cement floor / concrete layover.
Cementmix will make any concrete, cement and mortar through-and-through waterproof without any doubt! It stops rising damp permanently, with a lifelong guarantee.
Equipment and materials you’ll need to make a waterproof concrete / cement floor / concrete layover
- Cementmix, which replaces the water in the mixing process
- Leveling mortar or cement
- Long lath / level
- Grout trowel
- Bucket / wheel-barrel / concrete mixer
- Straightedge and shovel
- Enthusiastic energy 😉
Note: You can also use Permacon for waterproofing existing concrete.
Step-by-step guide on how to make a waterproof leveling mortar / screed / concrete floor / concrete layover
- Calculate the number the square feet and determine the thickness of your new floor.
- Calculate the amount of bags cement you’re going need.
- when waterproofing with Cementmix you’ll need to know how much you would be needing. So look on the bag of cement you’re going to use, then look up where it says “how much water is needed” per bag. Multiply this by the amount of bags you’ll be needing. Now you know how much Cementmix you’ll need for the job.
- Clean the surface by swiping it. Note: if the surface is old and perhaps greasy. To make sure the screed will have a strong adhesion with the old floor, use ammonia to degrease the floor with it (make sure to wear gloves and a mask).
- Check whether the surface is evenly level, so there will be no thin spots. You can do this by using the long lath, or better yet a level.
- Prepare the leveling mortar by using Cementmix instead of water, in a wheel-barrel or a concrete-mixer.
- Start applying the cement in the farthest corner and work your way back.
- Spread the cement evenly with a squeegee and a shovel, keeping your eye on the height plank.
- The next square meters must be applied in the same manner.
- By using a straightedge you can now level the cement evenly and still keeping your eye on the height.
- Now all the cement has been poured and leveled out, then comes the time to smooth it out. therefor you will need the straightedge once again
- Once the floor has been completed, step back and let the cement cure until it’s hardened (depending on the cement, anywhere between 24 to 48 hours until you can walk on the floor. The curing process will continue for at least 28 days)
Summary once everything is purchased and prepared
- Mix your cement / mortar with Cementmix
- divide your floor into even sections
- pour and spread the cement into the farthest corner
- Level the cement with a straightedge
- Repeat this process until all the cement’s been poured and leveled out
- Finish the floor using the straightedge once again
- Cementmix is a liquid that replaces the water in the mixing process
- Prevents concrete rot and rising damp permanently
- Permanent solution, no repeat needed
- Easy to use with a professional result
- Cementmix replaces water in the mixing process of concrete and cement. 5 litre Cementmix represents 5 litre of water.
- Lifelong guarantee
- Available in 1 / 2,5 / 5 / 10 / 25 Liter.